Friday, May 16, 2014

Where are they now: Eric Shellhouse

Eric Shellhouse

 
Tell us a little about yourself, both personal and professional, and your past/current OCLA involvement.
I first became an OCLA member in 1992 at my first Ohio lamb show. The best thing about showing in the OCLA were the friends I made along the way and that first year was a blast. Over the years I've served as a junior director and as well as a director. Currently I work for PIC, a swine genetics company, as well as Novel Designs, the leading marketing and web design firm for the show stock industry.

What does your career entail? What do you enjoy most about your job?
I am a selection officer for PIC. I evaluate the replacement females that we sell to commercial producers. I'm responsible for approximately 30,000 sows of female production in Ohio. My favorite part about my job is that it involves evaluating livestock on a day to day basis. My second position is as a sales rep. for Novel Designs and a contributor to championdrive.com. The great part about working for Novel Designs is the day to day interaction with show stock producers around the country.


How did you land your first job?
agcareers.com

What characteristics are needed for success in your career?
Both of the positions I hold require attention to detail and the ability to communicate with people. I'm constantly working with a team.


How has OCLA helped you in both your professional and personal life?
Being in the OCLA gave me a start in the livestock industry and introduced me to people I might otherwise never have met. It gave me a passion for the livestock industry in all facets.

What advice would you give to current OCLA members?
My advice to OCLA members is stick with it! If showing livestock is what you love, there are careers that can keep you involved in the livestock industry...it may be a different species, but you may find your niche where you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment