Thursday, July 10, 2014

Senior Spotlight: Maggie Neer


Maggie Neer



Name/High School/County you show in/How long have you been showing? 
Hi! My name is Maggie Neer. I'm a 2013 graduate of Mechanicsburg High School, now attending Black Hawk College East Campus. I have been showing for 10 years.  



Tell us a little about yourself and your involvement in OCLA 
I've been an active member in OCLA for 10 years now. I was also privileged to serve on the board as a junior director. 
Tell us about your plans for your future (college, employment, dreams, goals, etc.)   
I'm going to be a sophomore at Black Hawk College East Campus, where I'm a member of the Livestock Judging Team. After BHE I plan on transferring to Purdue University to major in Animal Agribusiness. After receiving my degree at Purdue, I hope to have a full time job and begin to start up my own flock of ewes.

Who has been your biggest influence in your showing experience?
Although many people have contributed to my success and have helped make me the showman I am today.. I'd have to say that growing up, Jamie Banbury was my role model. Whenever she was in the ring, I always made sure I was I was ringside watching. Jamie is someone I always admired in, and out of the showring, and I still do today.

What is your best OCLA memory?
It's hard to put a finger on this one... OCLA has given me memories to last a life time. However, I'll never forget the rotating "Wooden Sheep" and trying to figure out who's trailer we were going to sneak it onto next !

What advice would you give to younger members just starting their show career?
My advice to young members just starting is to remember that eventually the ribbons will fade, and the trophies will grow old. The important things about this organization are the friends you make, the oppurturinites you take, working as a team, and being dedicated in and out of the showring. If you remember these things, it will do more for you than prizes ever can. 



What advice would you give to the youth who are struggling with continuing to be involved in OCLA to the 18-year-old age group?
To those struggling, my advice would be to never give up. The moment you give up is the moment when you find out what you're truly made of. I would do anything to be a 9 year old again. Stick with it, I promise you won't regret it.

How has OCLA influenced you and your life?
OCLA and showing sheep isn't just hobby anymore, it's a lifestyle. This organization has molded me into the person I am today, and I'll never be able to repay that. Through OCLA I've been able to interact with industry leaders, make life long friendships, and have a voice within our sheep industry.


1 comment:

  1. Another great interview! Good Luck at the State Fair...make your last one, one to remember!

    ReplyDelete